"Battle for the Pride Lands" is the 21st chapter, as well as the sixth and final segment of the "Army of Scar" chronological saga, of The Lion King: Revisited.
To destroy Scar from unleashing his armada of Outlanders, Kion and Ono get injured to save the Pride Lands.
Back in the Outlands, Scar informs Ushari and Zira that he had lied to Janja, for if Kion uses the Roar in the volcano, he will start a massive eruption that will destroy the Pride Lands. He then explains that he had gotten his scar from Mufasa who'd been in cahoots with a strange lion. He had tried to hold the cure over Scar's head, but in his rage, Scar had destroyed him with the Roar instead. He returned to Pride Rock expecting to be praised by Mufasa for destroying the lion and snake, only for Mufasa to give him the nickname Scar. Since then, he has resented Mufasa and the royal family ("When I Led the Guard"). He tells Ushari that it is now Kion's turn to obtain a scar.
Not long afterward, Timon and Pumbaa distract the jackals to give Kion, the Lion Guard and their allies the opportunity to assault the Outlands, and the Lion Guard breaks into the volcano's inner chamber. Ushari sneaks up on Kion and slashes his eye, giving him a scar and injecting him with venom. Scar taunts Kion, asserting that Kion is now marked by evil and has the same destiny as Scar himself. Instead of giving in to his anger, Kion summons the Great Kings of the Past, including his grandfather Mufasa, who judge Scar by sending down rain that melts him away. Ushari tries to avenge Scar, but Bunga knocks them both into the lava pit. Timon, Pumbaa and Ono save Bunga, while Ushari meets his demise in the flames below.
After the fight, the Pride Landers celebrate their victory, whilst Simba, his family, Zazu, Rafiki, Makini and Ma congratulate Kion, Timon and Pumbaa. Jasiri becomes the leader of the Outlanders, with help from Janja and his clan, and the Outsiders are banished to termite mounds. However, Ono mourns the loss of his sight due to too much exposure to smoke and volcanic fumes. The Lion Guard decides to bring both Kion and Ono before Rafiki for healing.
- Jeremy Irons as Scar
- David Oyelowo as Scar Double
- Max Charles as Kion
- Nika Futterman as Zira
- Christian Slater as Ushari
- Atticus Shaffer as Ono
- Joshua Rush as Bunga
- Diamond White as Fuli
- Dusan Brown as Beshte
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Basi
- Matthew Broderick as Simba
- Maia Mitchell as Jasiri
- Common as Kiburi
- Khary Payton as Rafiki
- Ernie Sabella as Pumbaa
- Michael Dorn as Bupu
- Bryana Salaz as Anga
- Jason Marsden as Kovu
- Landry Bender as Makini
- Andy Dick as Nuka
- Vargus Mason as Cheezi
- John O'Hurley as Hadithi
- Blair Underwood as Makuu
- Nathan Lane as Timon
- Ana Gasteyer as Reirei
- Lacey Chabert as Vitani
- Andrew Kishino as Janja
- Kevin Schon as Chungu and Thurston
- Christopher Jackson as Shujaa
- Alfre Woodard as Sarabi
- Julie Kavner as Ma
- Lynette Dupree as Ma Tembo
- Phil LaMarr as Goigoi
- Nolan North as Tamka
- Greg Ellis as Mzingo
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa
- Meghan Strange as Shupavu
- Michael Luwoye as Askari
- Army of Scar
- Mzingo's parliament
- Kiburi's float
- The Lion Guard
- Simba's pride
- Jasiri's clan
- Hyena Resistance
- Ma Tembo's herd
- Basi's pod
- Thurston's herd
- Makuu's float
- Bupu's herd
- Mbeya's crash
- Twiga's herd
- The Traveling Baboon Show
- Pride Lands
- Pride Rock
- Gorge (fantasy)
- Honey badgers
- Spotted hyenas
- Red-billed hornbills
- Monitor lizards
The chapter received "universal acclaim" from writers, who liked the voice cast, infusers of references, musical score, songs, and the action sequence. The Strange Lion15 describes this chapter as being both "epic and hilarious".
- There are two differences than how it was shown from The Lion Guard:
- Scar explodes from the Roar of the Elders.
- Mufasa was responsible in giving Askari his scar, instead of a female cobra that was dropped from the original version.
- While developing the story of Revisited:
- Certain references from the 2019 remake of The Lion King are featured:
- The final battle's main theme is "Battle for Pride Rock", as well as mixes of musical pieces from "Stampede".
- Hadithi quotes Zazu by saying, "Please! Let's discuss this!".
- Jasiri having her brawl against Reirei is a reference to Nala's fight against Shenzi.
- The confrontation between Kion and Scar is a callback to Simba cornering Scar before their last clash.
- The scene where Timon and Pumbaa perform their "live bait" distraction to help the Lion Guard is a scene parodying the intro to the "Be Our Guest" musical number from Beauty and the Beast, with the jackals chasing the duo before Timon can even sing the full title to the song.
- In the film's Expanded Edition:
- Vitani's Guard, Kenge, and Sumu are additional members of Scar's All in One.
- Rani appears through a humiliation that Kion notices.
- Timon impersonates Ernie Smuntz from MouseHunt in the parody of Be Our Guest, a film that featured his voice actor, Nathan Lane.
- This may be the only chapter to have blood shown on-screen, whilst Kion getting his scar.
- Thurston stating he sees the problem and can solve it is a reference to Dhahabu standing up against Makucha from "The Golden Zebra" of The Lion Guard.
- Despite being a young adult and pre-teens, Nuka, Kovu and Vitani still have their adolescent and cub designs.
- Scar was meant to say "The Roar is a curse, Kion! You'll see! SISI NI SAWAAAA!" before he gets defeated, but this dialogue were refused in a previous chapter, The Rise of Scar.
- From a original script of the film, Rafiki says the phrase "Great Scott", an exclamation which is commonly used by fictional scientist Doc Brown in the Back to the Future movies. However, this was removed in not vandalizing the franchise with Universal Pictures.
- Certain lines of dialogue are reused from previous episodes of TLG and TLK:
- Mwoga and Mzingo's screams after Hadithi and Anga hit them are refused from the second season episode, Undercover Kinyonga.
- Pumbaa's line, "I've gotcha (Timon)!", is refused from the second season episode, The Scorpion's Sting.
- Scar's "You WHAT?!" is refused from his line, "WHAT?! What did you say?" and "You know the law! Never, ever mention that name in my presence. I am the KING!"
- Kenge and Sumu-esque monitor lizards and scorpions are shown among Scar's army.